The Story of Peach Boy
Momotaro is a well known and popular Japanese folk story and legend. Like many legends, it features a hero born of humble or unusual origins, people to fight for, and an enemy to conquer. Like many legends, it has many different interpretations. In Melbourne, Australia, there is a ramen restaurant called Momotaro. Sorry, I can’t tell you how good the ramen served there is!
1. Long long time ago, there was an old man in a small village.
2. He lived with his wife in a small house.
3. The old man went up a mountain.
4. He cut down trees on the mountain.
5. His wife went to a river.
6. And she washed their clothes in the river.
7. Then, the old lady found a very big peach in the river.
8. The old lady carried the big peach to her house.
9. She was very hungry. She was thinking about some food.
10. She decided to eat the big peach and so she cut it open with a knife.
11. There was a baby boy Inside the peach.
12. The old man and his wife didn’t have any children. His wife said to God. “Thank you God.” I will bring up this baby boy.
14. His wife talked about the baby boy to him.
15. The old man was very glad. It made the old man very happy.
16. They called the baby boy Peach Boy. Because he was born from a big peach.
17. Peach Boy grew up very well. He grew to be 15 years old.
18. Peach Boy became a very strong and brave boy.
19. One day, Peach Boy said to his parents. “I’m going to Monster Island.” And he said, “I’m going to fight the monsters.”
20. The old lady made a lunchbox for Peach Boy.
21. The old lady gave Peach Boy the lunchbox. She gave the lunchbox to Peach Boy. Peach Boy took the lunch box from the old lady.
22. Peach Boy said, “Thank you very much!” Then, Peach Boy left for Monster Island.
23. On the way to Monster Island, He met a dog. And the dog said, “Hi Peach Boy, where are you going?” And Peach Boy said, “I’m going to Monster Island.”
24. The dog asked him, “Why are you going to Monster Island?” Peach Boy said, “Because I’m going to fight the monsters.”
25. The dog said, “Give me a drink.
If you give me a drink, I’ll fight the monsters with you.” So, Peach Boy gave a bottle of water to the dog.
26. The dog became friends with Peach Boy.
27. Next, Peach Boy met a monkey. The monkey said, “Where are you going to, Peach Boy?” And Peach Boy said, “I’m going to Monster Island.”
28. The monkey asked him. “Why are you going to Monster Island?” Peach Boy answered. “I’m going to fight the monsters.”
29. And the monkey said, “Could you give me some of your lunch? If you give me some lunch, I’ll follow you to fight.” Then Peach Boy gave the monkey a baked sweet potato. The monkey ate the baked sweet potato.
30. The monkey also became friends with Peach Boy.
31. Next, Peach Boy met a bird. The bird said, “Where are you going to, Peach Boy?” Peach Boy said, “I’m going to Monster Island to fight the monsters.”
32. The bird said, “Would you give me some of your lunch? And I’ll help you to fight the monsters.” So, Peach Boy gave a rice ball to the bird. The bird took the rice ball from Peach Boy. The bird ate the rice ball.
33. The bird became friends with Peach Boy. Eventually, Peach Boy became friends with the dog, the monkey and the bird.
34. Peach Boy went to Monster Island with the dog, the monkey and the bird.
35. Finally, they arrived at Monster Island.
36. The monsters were drinking a bottle of wine at Monster Island. They were eating a lot of delicious food.
37. Peach Boy said to the dog, the monkey and the bird. “Those monsters stole lots of wine and food from our village.”
38. And Peach Boy said, “They are very bad monsters.” Then, Peach Boy shouted, “Everybody, attack them!”
39. The dog bit a monster’s hip.
40. The monkey scratched a monster’s back.
41. The bird picked a monster’s head with his beak.
42. Peach Boy chopped off a monster’s horn with his sword.
43. Peach Boy and his friends were very strong and brave. The monsters said,”We’re sorry. We’ll never steal any wine and food. Please forgive us.” The dog forgave them. The monkey did not forgive them. The bird forgave them. Peach Boy forgave them too. Eventually, Peach Boy and all his friends forgave them.
44. Peach Boy and all the monsters became friends. The dog, the monkey and the bird became friends with all of the monsters too.